Friday, February 22, 2008

Applying What Worked; An edge on Interviews

If you read my last blog then you know about the interview with the Pittsburgh Pirates. I walked out of the interview feeling great and very positive in how it went. The good news is I have anther interview for a summer internship this time with CBS Radio. Now, radio is something that I am not too excited about. All what I hear is how bad the hours are and that there is very little money to be made. And let’s face it, we live this life to make money and lots of it! But if that is what it takes to get my foot in the door then so be it. Looking back on my interview with the Pirates, what can I take from the experience and apply to my one with CBS Radio?

One thing that I believe in is to dress to impress. And this can be applied to anything, not just an interview. For me, I always been a suit and tie kind of a guy. When I walk into this interview I went to give the impression that I have my stuff together. I once read that how you dress effects how you feel, so if I look good then I’ll feel good. And if I feel good, I’ll bring that positive energy into the room.

I never was a person to just give one word answers. In an interview that could be the worst thing to do. When I was being interview by the Pirates and asked a question. I took my time and thought out what I wanted to say first. Not just saying the first thing that popped in my head. Then, I gave a thorough answer being as detailed as possible. This can be tricky because you do not want to be long winded too.

A real test of any man or the strength of the person can be judge in there ability to hold eye contact. Making eye contact is huge. It shows that you are not intimated and are listening to what the person is saying. Now you don’t stair down the person either because that can just be creepy. But making eye contact shows the kind of person you are and how much confidence you have in your self.

Walking in to the interview room I will bring my positive energy, and confidence. I will answer there question as if I heard them a million times before and think before I speak. I will be myself and let my personality come out. But most of all, I’ll out bullshit anyone and walk out brushing off my shoulders one at a time.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

The Career Center just held it's "Dine & Shine" event for seniors to cover several of the elements you blogged about this week. You'll have a chance to attend the event next spring, but why wait to get up to speed on all those things. You can check in with the BC 602 students from this semester who attended and get their take on things as well. Remember, the Career Center is open and an available resource. Don't wait for a class assignment to take full advantage of what they offer.