Thursday, September 25, 2008

Who I Would Like to Meet

Growing up in Pittsburgh there is only one person I ever trusted with my sports information. Considered one of the most respected sportscasters in Pittsburgh, I always turned to Stan Savran. He is the co-host of FSN Pittsburgh’s SAVRAN ON SPORTSBEAT since 1992. Savran brings over 30 years of experience to sports fans in Pittsburgh. For all his knowledge and hard work he was rewarded with the honor of being inducted into the Western Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame.

Now I can’t say that Stan Savran inspired me to become a sports broadcaster, but I can say watching him makes me want to be a better one. He knows so much about everything that sometimes it’s hard not to agree with what he says. Pittsburgh does have other sportscasters like Bob Pompeani, Mark Madden (now fired but still great), Rob King, and Tim Benz. All are great, but none come close to what Stan Savran is.

People are always asking me what I plan on doing once I’m done with College. And I tell them all, I want to work at FSN sports. That would be my dream job coming out of school. I would take any job there just to get my foot in the door and the chance to maybe work with Savran. I don’t care if I made their coffee, did some shooting, editing, directed a show, produce or even all the about. Anything would be awesome for me. Plus not to mention I live five minutes from the place too so the drive would be short.

I never really thought of my self as a sportscaster and that’s funny saying that now that Im the host of the Hounds Rounds Up. Which if you don’t know is a Video Blog about a local High School football team I do. Now I find myself thinking do people see me as their “Stan Savran” for the Wilmington Grey Hound Football? And that thought is pretty cool. So I asked myself, is this something I can see me doing? Deep down I really think there is a part of me that can do it with no problem. But other part says there is no way I can be as good as Savran or even Pompeani and the others I have mention. I also think I do a pretty decent job on the Hounds Round Up and I see no reason why one day I cant be working at FSN Sports. So with that said, Mr. Savran, you may not know who I am, but one day you will. I’ll see you yinszer’s at the water cooler.

No comments: