Friday, March 14, 2008

Bad News Good News?

Ever waited for a phone call that you thought would never come? I have. That was me waiting to hear back from the Pittsburgh Pirates regarding my summer internship. There is nothing worse then waiting or for that matter not knowing. When three weeks went by I thought that I didn’t get the internship and my hopes were fading fasting then President Bush’s approval rating. But little did I know this would all change. It was Tuesday evening around 7:30. A time when you really would not expect an important phone and sure enough one did. My phone rang and I did not recognize the number but from the area code I new it was from Pittsburgh. So I answered it and to my astonishment it was Eric Wolf the person who interviewed from the Pirates. After confirming it was me Douglas Kunst he was speaking to, his first words were “I have some good news and I have some bad news.”

How could I have good news and bad news? This didn’t make much sense to me at all and as you can imagine I was a little confused. Mr. Wolf went on to explaining that they hired a person for the internship and that they decided to go in a different direction. Now whatever that means I have no idea. They "decided to go in a different direction" was this a nice way telling me I was not the man for the job? Either way I was not happy where this conversation was going. But then I started thinking, he mention good news too. So what could that be? Mr. Wolf told me that he loved my interview and liked what I had to say. He reiterated that judging by my resume alone that I was more then qualified for the job. And because of this, he said he wants to keep me around as part time and work extra games when they need help. Holy shit that’s awesome!

Now I could be wrong and this is just the way I took it. I did not get the full time internship but they liked me so much that they decided to create a job for me to have me around. For me, I kind of have my foot half way in the door and the other out. But the way I see it, this is an enormous opportunity for me to network and to sell myself. Not to mention a chance to do what I have been learning for four years.

I have to say I am a little nervous about it. Will my work be good enough? Will they like what I do? I’m I going to learn fast enough? What if I mess up? How will others treat me? Will all my four years of work here at College shine through? These are all thoughts I been having. Which I think is normal because I truly do not know what I am capable of. Maybe I’ll be amazing who knows…either way I’ll do my best. As they say, I have one chance to make a good first impression.

3 comments:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

It's normal to be nervous.
Trust me-- you're ready.

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Other ideas for internships-- have you tried the video departments at the Steelers-- Pirates?

WTAE?
WPXI?
KDKA?

Talk to Chris Norris as well-- perhaps the Washington Wild Things?

Unknown said...

What a great connection to have. Where on earth did you get contact info for the Pittsburgh Pirates? Haha just kidding bro. Congrats man...I hope you get the chance to work some games. Its an AMAZING experience.