Thursday, November 20, 2008

I Tip My Hat To You

This week we were ask to deconstruct one of our fellow students Capstone presentation. So far I have been able to attend everyone’s accept for one. Now I am not just saying this because they are my peers. But I truly believe everyone has done a fantastic job and I have been very impressed. Their was one persons who’s presentation stands out the most. This was Shayna Marti.


Her project was a documentary on the habitat for humanity. A documentary is different from doing a package. It gives you time to tell the full story and instead of two minutes trying to sum it up. Most documentary run anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes long, so one has a lot of video to shoot. For Shayna I believe she almost had close to two hours of video just to fill 15 minutes. So imagine trying to sort through all of that!


Here is what I loved about Shayna’s movie. The way she started it was awesome. The first shot you see is the sun trying to break through the green leaves. As your looking into the sun Shayna is narrating and setting you up for the story. This was a style we saw through out her movie. Setting up each day she had a close up of something. Some of her best shots were the close ups of the bee on the flower, and the sky with the clouds moving.


In broadcasting we all know the basic rules when it comes to shooting. Close, medium, and wide. Shayna took this concept and used it very effectively. Their was a part in the movie where she had a close up of a drill then the next shot was the wide shot of the drill. The whole movie we saw this and that’s what makes good story telling.


In closing I would like to say that Shayna’s documentary was something you would find of PBS. It was everything you would expect a professional to put together. So t you Shayna I tip my hat, great job.

1 comment:

Shayna said...

Awww thanks Doug! That means a lot! I'm excited to see your presentation on Monday! You'll be great! =)