Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pass to your left


This past Thursday was the senior dinner Dine & Shine. It’s a dinner for the seniors with a speaker who spoke about table manners during a business interview. In my opinion I believe table manners have gone out the window with my generation. Most of us conduct ourselves decently but do not know proper behavior. I like to think that I display good etiquette when I am out in public. But after our dinner I still had some learning to do.

Sitting at a table we should all know by now some of the basic stuff; like covering your mouth when you sneeze, pass food or condiments to the left and so on. But it’s more then just that. When all these little things add up it can make you look really good or really bad. So let’s test your knowledge. When do you place your napkin on your lap? Now think about it. Got it? Well if you said the moment you sit down then you were right. I thought it was when your food comes, guess I was wrong.

One of my biggest pet-peeves, are people who chew with their mouth open! This drives me crazy. At the dinner I was so happy that the speaker brought it up. She talked about how its one of the most impolite, annoying, and disgusting thing someone can do at the dinner table. I have so many friends that chew with their mouth open and foods coming, lips are smacking making an irritating sound. I once stop seeing a girl because at dinner she had this habit. Ok I feel better now that I got that off my chest.

The dinner also included a mini fashion show which feature modals displaying outfits to wear at an interview. One thing I never really understood was the difference between business professional and business casual. For guys what makes it business professional is if it’s a full matching suit. Then business casual may be just a tie or a collard shirt with a sweater. So at the very lest I had that cleared up for me.

By the end of the dinner I really enjoyed myself and find it very helpful. I think the career center did a great good putting the whole thing together. It’s too bad that not more seniors didnt came to the event. At lest for my next interview I may not be the most qualified but I’ll be the best dressed.

1 comment:

saradish said...

Great article. I think that all corporations should have Etiquette dinners for their employees, especially senior management. While all details may not matter(you probably wont lose a client for putting the napkin in your lap too late!) you are very astute in mentioning that all small things combined create an overall impact.